Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Feet of Jesus


As I began to string rosaries this evening, my 'checklist' of things I accomplished and things I need to accomplish today popped into my mind and I immediately began to assess my day's worth on my accomplishments.  It made me stop to think- this is not how God assesses my day. He does not care a thing about my checklist and how many errands I've accomplished. I should really stop thinking about my checklist and more about how much I've loved today.  I think this is a very common struggle among homemakers. We have so much on our list of things to do that we quickly lose sight of what is really important. In my mom's group, I recently shared an article my mother sent me. It was on St. Francis de Sales.  In this article, it quotes St. Francis's writing, "Do as little children who with one hand hold fast to the hand of their father and with the other gather strawberries or blackberries along the hedges.  In the same manner, while gathering and managing the goods of the this world with one hand, hold fast with the other hand of your heavenly Father, turning to him from time to time to see if your actions or occupations are pleasing to him."  Wow. I need to remind my self of this several times a day. I love how he makes it seem manageable to be a saint and a busy mom. He goes on to say, "Be both Martha and Mary. Diligently carry out your duties, and often recollect yourself and put yourself in spirit at the feet of our Lord. Say, "My Lord, whether I'm rushing around or staying still, I am all yours and you are all mind. You are my first spouse and whatever I do is for love of you."   Needless to say, EVERYONE in my mom's group loved the article and thanked my mom for sending it.  From now on, whenever I'm making rosaries, especially, I will put myself at the foot of Jesus and forget all those silly checklists.

No comments: