Saturday, January 2, 2010

On the Seventh Day

Today I was thinking about the first book of the bible where it says that God rested. "Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. 2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made. " (Gen: 2:1-3) Have you ever wondered why God needed to rest? Really- Why does God need to rest at all? I was struck by this thought. Since it does seem silly that God needs anything- it had to be written in the bible for our sake- not just to document a nice little snooze.

Tomorrow is the seventh day of the week and according to the Ten Commandments, I am supposed so REST. I'll let you in on a little secret- I am terrible at keeping this commandment. I do want to be better at it, but it remains a short coming of mine. But while thinking about the thought that if God rested on Sunday and blessed it as a holy day- who am I to think that I need to keep working on this day of rest?

I resolve that tomorrow, I will refrain from unnecessary work, and make more time for rest and prayer. After all, who am I to say I don't need a rest from the business of life when God himself took a day off? I've heard that if you take Sunday off from unnecessary work that God blesses your work week that much more so you will never miss that day you took off. Well, here goes a leap of faith!

Have a wonderful, blessed, and restful Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for your post. Yes, a great reminder 'to keep the Sabbath holy..." It really is something I try to do with my family. In fact, when we purchased our house five years ago, I promised myself that I would buy a house WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE to our Catholic Church. This decision required a small, small, small home (location, location, location), but has proven a blessing for my family aand me. We are able to walk to town and church. We try to honor the Sabbath by only walking to Mass etc. It eally is something I am grateful to have done. Blessings to you.