Monday, March 8, 2010

To the Pure, All Things are Pure

A fellow blogger, Allison Salerno @ Why I Am Catholic posted a great breast feeding post in honor International Women's Day.

I breastfed both my kids (actually I am still weaning Analee who is one year old now) and I can tell you- there is nothing that compares. Breast is best. You can read more about why breast is best in Allison's article. I am very thankful to my mother who first led by example and breastfed all seven kids in an era when it wasn't always a popular thing to do- or even an acceptable thing to do in public. Thankfully, now we know that all that nonsense about the bottle being better than the breast is just that- nonsense. Unfortunately, it still makes many people uncomfortable- which in turn makes me uncomfortable when I am breastfeeding. Maybe it's the fact we don't always see things how God sees them.

When I think of how breastfeeding makes some other people uncomfortable, I think of this verse from the bible: Titus 1:15 "To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled" Don't get me wrong- this passage from the bible is directed right at me many times as well, but not for breastfeeding.

Jennifer Knapp sings this bible verse in one of my favorite Christian songs called Trinity. Here is a music video with Jennifer Knapp singing to one young women's interpretation of the song (a very good one).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like that quote from Titus. I think the fact that YIM Catholic's hosts, Webster and Frank invited a post to CELEBRATE women in breastfeeding is amazing. To do a feature on such a topic really is an honor for us women and mothers. Your Bible verse dovetails perfectly with the comment I left on Allison's guest post.
Perhaps she will do NFP next?!

Bonnie said...

"Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed" Lk.11:27
I could not restrain from using that verse! Motherhood takes on a different perspective when viewed from the nursing baby. truly I do not know who is more blessed?
love mom