Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hello or Goodbye?

I had to say goodbye to a good friend whom I met when we moved here. It's only a been a couple years that we knew each other, but I really, really hated to say goodbye to her.  I will probably never see her again.  She was one of those people who could brighten a room full of dead people.  Just a beautiful person.  Saying goodbye was hard and I could say nothing but cry.

I am not even good at casual goodbyes.  I once read that it's a personality trait to prefer greetings to goodbyes and vise versa.  I don't know how it can be related, but ever since I read that, I have noticed how much I prefer to say hello and feel so clumsy and awkward when it's time to say goodbye. Isn't that funny?  Why should the two be so different, I do not know.

Greetings are so nice. They let people know they are welcomed, loved, cared for.

Goodbyes just stink. I don't care for them. I would rather slip out of the door unnoticed than have to go through an awkward goodbye.   Do you hug or not hug?  What do you say? How do you wrap it up nicely?  I can't seem to figure it out.  Maybe someday I will be the queen of finesse, but for now I'm hoping my hellos make up for my goodbyes.

How about you? Are you a hello or goodbye person?

4 comments:

AE said...

:-( i just like to make goodbyes quick... rip off the band aid!

Jamie Jo said...

Now, that would have to depend on the person I'd being helloing or goodbying....

usually a hello person though!

I'm sorry you lost your friend. Just remember and take away the good she brought you.

Jamie Jo said...

I do love my husband's kisses goodbye (not the saying goodbye part, just the ritual I guess) and lately he's not been doing it...I think he's afraid of waking me, since I'm up half the night!!

Renee said...

despite being a military wife for 20 yrs, I am not a goodbye person.
I would prefer to slip out of town unnoticed